Shortly after Little was born I was at the park with The Brothers and a women asked me what the age difference between the two was. Her response after I told her was "oh so you had twins the hard way". At the time I thought her comment was pretty funny and fairly accurate. The reality is that although I never would have imagined that I would have had two babies so close together and it has come with it shares of challenges, it has also come with some unexpected blessings. I never wanted twins, I mean they're cute and all but holy crap what a ton of work. I have nothing but respect for parent's of twins. You really have to have it together to parent twins I think. But the one really cool thing about twins is that they have that special twin bond, and although Big and Little aren't twins I do like to think that their being so close in age has led to something similar to a twin bond.
As much as I never wanted twins I also never wanted just one child. Only children are weird (no offense only children). I mean no matter how cool your parents are, and I do feel that The Brothers have some exceptionally cool parents, there are some things you just need a sibling for. Who else will help you sneak cookies out of the pantry when mom and dad aren't home? Who else will call you a loser at home but defend you relentlessly on the school bus. Who else will relate when a cute girl turns you down? I mean as cool as Brad and I are there are just some roles your parents can't fill, at least if you plan on becoming a functioning adult at some point.
This is exactly why I love seeing The Brothers in all their brotherly action. They can get on each others nerves in a heartbeat. They have each already figured out what buttons to push. However they also have an unexplainable bond. The first few days of Big's new school were particularly hard on Little who has almost never been without his big brother. Even now when they see each other after a day apart they break out in smiles and giggles. It's my goal to encourage this bond forever. I love the idea that even after Brad and I are gone they will always have each other.
The other night I was trying to get Little to say Caleb, as I was repeating the name over and over while pointing at Big, Big interrupted me and said "No, to him I'm Buba". I love that to the rest of the world he is Caleb but to Little he is a brother. It's something that they have that it only between them. We may know them as Big and Little but together they will always be The Brothers.

No comments:
Post a Comment