Voting

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Excuses, Excuses

The Brothers have new rooms. Well, the same rooms they've always had but with new beds and new decor. Big has graduated to a twin size bed and Little has inherited his brother's old toddler bed. I'll post some pictures of the spruced up digs once we get all the finishing touches done. After all that is not what this post is really intended to be about.

An unexpected side effect of all this moving around has been that Big seems to have discovered that he doesn't need as much sleep as we think he should have. We've made a deal, he can stay up as long as he likes, he can wake up as early as he likes but he has to stay in his room and be quite between about 8:30 pm and 6 am. This doesn't seem like too much to ask, and he has been agreeable. Except that he keeps having these "problems" that force him to seek our attention.

They started out as just your regular kid-putting-off-bedtime-problems. "I need a drink", "I'm scared of the dark", "I had a bad dream" (strange since he was put to bed 2 mins before). When, he ran out of the classics he moved onto injury related excuses. "My leg hurts", "I bit my tongue" and "I poked myself in the eye". He quickly realized that at bedtime Mama's sympathy is lacking, and unless it's going to require an ER visit, you better just hold on to morning. Hence his latest category of excuses - desperate attempts to stay awake even a min longer. So far these have included "there's a mystery - there are some tracks in the kitchen and we need to find out where they go" (they were Hank's paw prints that he left when I let him out in the rain, mystery solved, go back to bed), and the latest and most desperate - "Mama I got this blanket stuck on my head".

I can't wait to see what he comes up with next. I just wish exercise his creativity during the daylight hours instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment